Multicultural Engineering Program (MEP)
Also known as the MESA Engineering Program, is the university level component of the statewide Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) - a program of the University of California Office of the President. At UC Santa Cruz, MEP is supported by the Baskin School of Engineering with its goal to promote diversity and facilitate the retention and graduation of a diverse population of students, especially groups which continue to remain the most underrepresented in engineering studies. The program received the 2004 UC Santa Cruz Excellence Through Diversity Award which is presented to programs or individuals for efforts which promote a diverse and inclusive environment.
Eligibility for MEP participation is intended for School of Engineering students who meet any of the following:
- are first in their family to attend college or first to enroll in engineering/computer science studies
- may have limited financial resources or experienced socio-economic challenges (low-income, financial need)
- are from historically underrepresented or marginalized groups who typically do not pursue engineering studies
Students who have participated in pre-university service programs (e.g. Early Academic Outreach, Upward Bound, MESA MSP or MCCP, Talent Search, Puente, DEEP, Smith Scholastic Society, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
With the goal of supporting your undergraduate experience as an engineering student while at the same time providing peer mentor support, it is important that students actively participate and engage in various academic, student leadership and professional development activities. In order to maintain your MEP eligibility for the following academic year, every student is required to meet the minimum Standard Participation.
The full participation policy is available online.
MEP Orientation - Fall 2014
For new members only. We are having a mandatory MEP Orientation TBD.
MEP Welcome - Fall 2014
Come and meet current and new MEP students at our annual Fall Welcome!
TBD - check back again soon
MEP Study Center (Baskin 399)
- Come mix and mingle with new and incoming MEP members
- Meet the MEP Director
- Learn more about MEP resources and services
- Have some fun and enjoy light refreshments